KLAMATH DOG FANCIERS
CODE OF ETHICS
The object of this Code of Ethics is to FURTHER THE ADVANCEMENT OF ALL PUREBRED DOGS, to FOSTER INTEREST IN THE TRAINING, SHOWING, AND PROMOTION OF ALL PUREBRED DOGS, and to PROMOTE RESPONSIBLE DOG OWNERSHIP.
In keeping with our dedication to these goals, the club members of Klamath Dog Fanciers, Inc. agree to maintain the following MINIMUM practices:
1) Study and strive to conserve and improve your breed in structure, temperament and working ability, never sacrificing one for the other. Encourage working titles to retain correct temperament and instincts. Show your breeding stock, keeping in mind the purpose of such shows is to improve the breed by objective evaluation of the animals in competition according to breed standards.2) Maintain the highest possible standards of health, cleanliness, and care; with all stock sold guaranteed to be in healthy condition, including adequate protection against known disease, and to follow regular vaccination schedules.
3) Keep and pass on accurate health and registration records. Strongly recommend that all dogs not purchased as Show/Breeding stock be made incapable of reproducing.
4) Always be willing to assist the buyer in dealing with the puppy, including information, education, and if necessary, to take back the dog or assist in placing the dog in a new home for the life of the dog. Practice truth in advertising.
5) Comply with all AKC regulations and guidelines and obey local dog ordinances. Confine animals to an adequately fenced area and do not allow dogs to roam free while unattended. Respect your neighbor’s rights as you would wish yours respected.
6) Never to knowingly allow any animal to be altered to correct any disqualifying fault or feature (not injury) for the conformation ring. Alteration may be permissible when required for the health and well-being of the animal.
7) Observe the highest standards of SPORTSMANSHIP and GOOD WILL at shows, obedience trials, and any other club function or dog related activity. DO NOT engage in malicious gossip or make intentionally misleading or exaggerated statements about other people, their dogs, or their breeding practices.
8) Breed only registered dogs and bitches (of the same breed) which are in good health and physical condition, and free of Canine Brucellosis. Breed only animals with stable temperaments and no disqualifying faults according to your breed’s standard, and that carry no known hereditary defects or diseases.
9) Offer at stud only mature, healthy dogs free of communicable diseases. Refuse stud service to any bitch not meeting these qualifications.
10) Breed only mature bitches, in good health, free of communicable diseases, and not more often than two out of three consecutive seasons. Plan all litters with the goal of improving your breed and be willing to take full responsibility for each puppy in the resulting litter, and not place any puppies before seven to ten weeks of age.
11) Not to sell, place on consignment, or otherwise transfer any puppies or dogs to any dealer, pet shop, catalog house, auction, raffle, or any other party which acquires dogs for resale. Carefully screen buyers, and deal only with responsible, reputable people. Refuse to deal with unethical breeders.